Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Moringa Rice

Most Filipinos would get energy from eating rice. In fact, Filipinos would not be felt full if we don't eat rice in every meal! So if it is time to eat breakfast, lunch or dinner, we make sure to serve a platter of rice on the table :)

I just want to share with you that the rice I cook could be more interesting to eat because it can be more nutritious this time.  Yes, i said it right--more nutritious

Fresh malunggay leaves (photo grabbed from net)
I know we are all familiar with Malunggay (Moringa Oleifera), it is widely known as a "miracle tree" because of loaded benefits it can give-- from roots, trunk, leaves, flowers and seeds. Here in our village, you can see at the front of almost each house planted the Malunggay tree. I am not fortunate to grow mine that is why when i need it for my menu, I would just ask from my neighbors and they were generous to allow me get bunches of leaves from their trees. When we were in Taguig, i also blessed to have a friend who supply malunggay leaves for me.

Fresh Malunggay leaves can be added to dishes. In fact, i make it an alternative to sili leaves when i cook tinola. To a practical mom like me, even when the leaves get dried, it can still be useful! And that's what i added to rice to make it more nutritious.

Powdered Dried malunggay

How to make powdered malunggay?

1. Dry the leaves under the sun.
2. When the leaves are well dried, crush it using your bare hands.
3. Put it inside the glass container and reserve for consumption.

Here is the Step-By-Step Photos in cooking Moringa Rice
Wash  the rice. Add enough water according to the variety of rice you will cook. Place over fire until it boils.

When it is boiling, add 3Tbsp of dried  powdered malunggay.

Mix it.

Cover and set to low fire until it is cooked.

Nutritious Moringa Rice! FIN
Now with Moringa rice, you know that healthy food is always on your table.









1 comment: